Labels

Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Lonely Gather Like Sheep These Nights


Water trickles down the stone walls and puddles gather, revealing the uneven ground.
I noticed today the yellow leaves and mossy benches along the sidewalk. 
I noticed also how lonely people gather together like sheep in the cold.

I see what could have been.
A cold tear trickling down my face at times
And I know that if I had stayed in that old town, my home town,
I would have fallen asleep.
Grey hairs sprouting, and wrinkles curving their way into my skin.
It’s a place of death. Of lost friends and dreams that failed.
It’s a place where you always wish you were somewhere else, But coming back somehow is a comfort.
Well, in theory it’s comforting, for a while.

Now the rain is falling harder.
The moon is obscured by fog
And the night is black ink.
My senses only capture a lovely sound tonight, swirling about.
People say rain is when God cries and I say not.
It’s a million angels snapping their fingers, clapping and tap dancing.

These past few nights, hardly any of us have slept adequately,
Yet I never felt closer to any of you.
We were gathered at the hardest time of year, pulling each other along.
I hardly know what it means to be awake anymore.
I hardly know what it means to be alone.
A sleep over, heart to heart talks, good coffee, movies and tears.
A long walk in the falling trees under a dripping foggy sky. 

I trip sometimes on the uneven ground, or slip in the puddles.
Currently, my warmest boots are the most wet.
But let’s take a walk anyway, again,
Because lonely people are here today, gathered like sheep.

The rain slows and my bed starts to feel increasingly like sinking sand.
Eye lids slightly falling…

No comments:

Post a Comment