Labels

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Sit Quiet for a Minute


Last week the Santa Ana winds hit Pasadena at 97mph, ripping trees from the ground, and knocking over power lines. Much of the city is still without electricity. I talked to a guy named Taiga, who is Japanese but grew up in Kenya, about the situation. He said that its such a farce to see the way people react to power outages here. He told me that at home in Kenya, this happens like every other day. Not the wind, but the power outages.

Today I will discuss the technology dependent world that we live in, which I try to escape, but cannot as I type here on my laptop using my internet. Yet I want to at least be aware of it, and use technology, but not become its slave.

Last week I deleted my Facebook and Twitter, for good. I find that I am able to study, think, and write so much easier when I don't have those distractions waving at me every time I open my lap top to do homework. I try not to carry my phone with me as much, so that I can't text people when I am in an awkward situation. Instead, I can actually talk to people, or just stare at the wall and notice something new about the room. Maybe I don't need to get that $200 ipod I want so bad.

Last week I gave a speech about why Christians should be environmentalists. One of my points is that creation was made to be enjoyed, but humans destroy it, and ignore it. In my speech I quoted Thoreau, "I was as much affected by the faint hum of the mosquito making its invisible and unimaginable tour through my apartment at earliest dawn, when I was sitting doors and windows open, as I could be by any trumpet that ever sang of fame."

Is that not beautiful? That's how we should be! Discovering the intricacies of God's creation but how can we do that when we're always texting, facebooking, tweeting, playing video games, drowning ourselves in our ipods' noise! These technologies that are supposed to bring us together instead cause us to be alone, and dull our senses.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not one of those people who hates technology, and in no way would I say it is always wrong, or a waste of time. It can be useful, for example my blog allows me to publish my own writing and share it with people. I also know Youtube helps no-name musicians, movie makers, comedians, etc to share their art with the world. I understand technology, even social media, has its place. 

I am arguing against allowing technology to over take your life. How often do you g outside and watch the sunset? Do you notice the way the light hits the trees? Do you see the spider webs' perfection? Do you hear the birds? There is so much to see and to hear and to touch and smell!

So if Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, video games, etc are your default "I'm bored" activities, then maybe you should consider getting rid of them. If you don't look at the world because you're too caught up in social media, etc, then maybe you should take a break from your addiction and check out God's creation. Or talk to people face to face instead of over a computer screen. 

Can we just sit quietly?

I have long known that I was addicted to Facebook and Twitter, but now I am free, and my mind feels so much more empty and quiet. It's wonderful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment